Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2009

The Ultimate American Experience - Advance Notice


I have now looked at the UT stadium many times, every time I walked over the campus. And even though I am not terribly interested in any kind of sport and all that is connected to the almost fanatic following of one sports team or another, the stadium seems to embody an artifact of immense importance. With the sun setting on this mild and gentle October evening, the stadium's ranks which tower into the blue sky resemble the ruins of the Roman Colosseum.

And as I look up at the hige walls I completely forget that actually I am only looking at tons of brick and masses of cement. For a moment there, these walls seem to be the most impressive thing I have ever seen. With every step I take, my view changes. Leaves and tree branches form an ever changing mosaic and pattern, vanishing from my visual gaze as stars appear and bats race over the early night sky. The sound of crickets and the occasional police siren far away make me feel so small in presence of the stadium that appears to represent the essence of American college life and popular culture. As important as the Colosseum has been in ancient times, as important is the UT football stadium to its students and fans in the region.
I know I now feel hopelessly romantic and it might sound crazy, but the campus is an incredibly beautiful place, more so during the night than during the day, and I am very proud to have the chance to be a part of this.

Next weekend I will be attending a game to see the stadium fulfill its destiny.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen